Student Life Policies > Alcohol Policy
As an institution interested in the intellectual, physical, and psychological well-being of the campus community, the University of Houston deems it important to curtail the abusive or illegal use of alcoholic beverages. All members of the University of Houston community and guests are required to comply with federal, state, and local laws regarding the distribution, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
Such laws include the following:
- An individual under 21 years old commits an offense if he purchases, consumes, or possesses alcohol.
- A person commits an offense if he purchases, gives, or knowingly makes alcohol available to an individual under 21 years.
- A person under 21 years commits an offense if he falsely states that he is 21 years of age or older or presents any document that indicates that he is 21 years of age or older to a person selling or serving alcoholic beverages.
- A person commits an offense if he appears in public under the influence of alcohol to the degree that the person may endanger himself or another.
- A person commits an offense if he is intoxicated while driving or operating a motor vehicle in public.
- The sale of any type of alcoholic beverage is prohibited unless the seller possesses a valid license or permit. Selling includes, but is not limited to, including the price of alcoholic beverages in the admission price, and/or giving away the alcoholic beverage but charging for the food.
- Civil liability may attach to a social host serving alcohol to an intoxicated individual who later injures himself or another.
It is university policy that the possession, consumption, and/or distribution of any alcoholic or intoxicating beverage in an open receptacle or a container which has been opened is prohibited in any public area of the University of Houston campus except at:
- Events for students (including events planned by staff or faculty for students and events sponsored by students or student organizations) authorized by the Dean of Students Office in accordance with the Alcohol Distribution Policy in the official UH Student Handbook.
- Faculty/staff events authorized by the President, Vice Presidents, Associate or Assistant Vice Presidents, Deans or Academic Department Chairs; and
- The Hilton University of Houston Hotel and on-campus restaurant or food service areas where alcohol is legally distributed or sold.
The term public area is defined as campus parking lots, campus grounds or any outside enclosed area or portion thereof, to which the public is invited or given general unrestricted access, as well as the inside classrooms, lobbies, lounges, corridors and restrooms of the campus buildings.
An individual or group which sponsors an event at which alcoholic beverages are made available is responsible for adherence to the applicable laws and applicable university