Mar 21, 2023  
2014-2015 Graduate Catalog 
2014-2015 Graduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Admission Requirements: Cullen College of Engineering

Colleges  > Cullen College of Engineering  > Admission Requirements: Cullen College of Engineering


In general, applicants seeking admission to graduate study into a Master’s, Ph.D., or certificate program in one of the major disciplines, must have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited program or from a related program in Science or Mathematics from an accredited program.  A grade point average of 3.0/4.0 and test results from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are required for unconditional admission.  For specific requirements, consult the individual department or interdisciplinary program.

To apply for admission to an Engineering graduate programs, the prospective student must complete and submit for evaluation:

  • A completed graduate application must be submitted online.  The application fee is $25.00 for U.S. applications.  If the applicant will be on an F-1 or J-1 visa or has any foreign documents, especially a transcript, the application fee is $75.00.  Application fees are non-refundable.
  • All International students who wish to update their applications will be required to pay an application update fee of $75.00.  If the update fee is not paid, the Office of International Admissions will place a stop on the student’s admission record preventing him/her from registering until the fee is received.
  • Files must be complete before applicants can be admitted to a graduate program.
  • One official transcript from each institution attended (with degrees posted) must be sent to the Graduate School at the address below.  Applicants may find it easier to send documents to the Express Mail Address if they are not able to mail documents to a P.O. Box from abroad locations.
Regular Mail Address Express Mail Address
University of Houston University of Houston
Graduate Admissions 4800 Calhoun Road
P. O. Box 3947 102 E. Cullen Building
Houston, Texas 77253-3947 Houston, Texas 77204-2012
  • Official GRE test scores as well as official TOEFL or IELTS test scores (if required must be submitted to the University of Houston from the Educational Testing Service).  (Test Code is 6870.)
  • Three letters of reference should be provided as part of the application package.  These letters should be from professors or employment supervisors on company stationery or on forms provided by the department of your intended major.  At least one letter should be from a former professor.
  • Resume/Curriculum Vitae
  • The student’s statement of purpose (1 page).

The admission requirements for international students include the above criteria and additional items, such as:

Conditional Admissions

  • If you were admitted conditionally for one or more of the following reasons:
    • Official GRE/TOEFL scores not submitted/not acceptable/not taken
    • Official transcript(s) not received
  • Official transcripts or test scores must be provided during your first semester of enrollment.  Otherwise, a stop will be placed on your future enrollment.
    • Required completion of first 12 graduate hours at UH with 3.0/4.0 average
  • If you are a full-time student, conditional admission must be changed to unconditional admission by no later than the end of your first year of enrollment.  If you are a part-time student, conditional admission must be changed to unconditional admission at the completion of the first 12 hours of graduate credit.
  • Contact your departmental Graduate Admissions Assistant to change the conditional admission status to unconditional admission status upon completing all conditional admission requirements during the time period.
  • The student’s major department will place an enrollment stop on a student who has not met admissions requirements or other enrollment requirements within the time period.
  • If leveling courses are required for your admission, then the leveling courses must be completed prior to your taking graduate courses.  Leveling courses must be completed with a minimum grade of B.  Leveling courses cannot be counted as graduate credit toward your degree.
  • If you are approved for graduate admission for a given semester and do not enroll, you must contact your departmental Graduate Admissions Assistant in order to update your application.  If you do not enroll for one year after your initial approval for admissions, then you must re-apply with a new application, new application fee, new transcripts, and new letters of reference.  Inactive files of admitted, but never enrolled, students are kept for only one year before being discarded.


These documents need to be submitted to the department requested.  Departmental contact information can be found by clicking on the “Academics” tab along the top of the Cullen College of Engineering website at