College of Education > Teacher Education Program
The University of Houston’s Teacher Education Program, prepares undergraduate students to be certified as teachers in a variety of fields.
The university and the College of Education offer bachelor’s degree programs that meet the State Board for Educator Certification and the Higher Education Coordinating Board requirements for the standard teaching certificate. Individuals are required to have a Texas teaching certificate to teach in Texas public schools.
Postbaccalaureate students may seek teacher certification as a non-degree objective student or as a graduate student. See the Education section of the Graduate and Professional Studies Catalog for further information or visit the COE certifications website.
Note: Rules and regulations are set forth by the State of Texas and are subject to change at any time. The College of Education reserves the right to make changes to accommodate the State Board for Educator Certification, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and university decisions.
Students who wish to become certified in the following areas should declare a major in Teaching and Learning.
- Early Childhood-6th grade generalist teacher certification
- Early Childhood-6th grade bilingual teacher certification
- Early Childhood-6th grade generalist/Special Education supplemental/ESL supplemental
- 4th-8th grade English Language Arts teacher certification
- 4th-8th grade Science teacher certification
- 4th-8th grade Social Studies teacher certification
Students who wish to complete certification at the secondary level or in select fields at all levels should select a major in the content area in which they wish to teach and complete the Education minor, with certification.
Certificates available through the Education Minor:
- English Language Arts (7th-12th grade)
- Social Studies (7th-12th grade)
- History (7th-12th grade)
- Speech (7th-12th grade)
- Journalism (7th-12th grade)
- Dance (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Music (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Art (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Theater (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- French (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Latin (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Spanish (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Italian (Early Childhood-12th grade)
Students may also seek certification in secondary mathematics, science, physical science, life science, and chemistry through the teachHOUSTON program. Visit teachHOUSTON to learn more.