Jan 31, 2023
College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Department of Comparative Cultural Studies > Liberal Studies, B.S.
Director: Thomas Behr (email@example.com)
The Bachelor of Science with a Major in Liberal Studies offers a broadly interdisciplinary liberal arts program that may be tailored to match a wide variety of educational and professional goals of students.
The flexibility of putting together three Minors, with the potential for petitioning in a Minor from outside of CLASS, suggests that students should consult closely with the Liberal Studies advisor or Director in formulating a coherent and professionally practical program for this Major.
Liberal Studies Program Required Courses
Introduction to Liberal Studies Seminar
A 3 credit hour “Introduction to Liberal Studies” seminar is to be taken in the student’s Sophomore year or in the first semester having declared the Liberal Studies major beyond Freshman year, whichever is sooner.
Liberal Studies Senior Seminar
Credit hours related to this requirement may apply to one of a student’s minors or not, as determined by the minor program.
Satisfaction of this requirement shall be determined upon submission of the relevant application as established by the Director of Liberal Studies. Refer to the Liberal Studies website for suggested options.
A Practicum is required from one of the alternatives as follows:
- an approved UH credit-bearing, learning abroad program,
- an approved UH credit-bearing internship program or public service project,
- an approved UH credit-bearing research project, including a significant research capstone project or honors thesis, or
- ILAS 3350 - Power Writing Credit Hours: 3.0
Selection and Completion of Three Minors
Student must complete all requirements for three separate Minors, one in each of three different fields within the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, with the following stiplutions and exception:
- two of the three Minors must be from programs that also offer a Major,
- one of the three Minors may be from outside of CLASS that may count towards the Liberal Studies major include all eligible programs from other UH colleges.
- courses taken for any Minor cannot be used to satisfy requirements in either of the other two Minors.
Minor Administrative and Academic Requirements
- File degree plans for each of the three Minors,
- Complete the 15 or 18 credit hours required for the each Minor, totaling 45 to 54 credit hours,
- Complete all other requirements for each of the chosen Minors, including grade point averages.
Students must complete all other Core , College , and University requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree.
Note: Since the program is interdisciplinary in nature, students majoring in Liberal Studies will not have to fulfill the College requirement for an additional 9 hours across three fields outside of their Major.