Nov 27, 2021  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog

College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Experience Track

College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics  > Experience Track

The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics recognizes the value of developing students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career. Students who select the Experience Track in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship/Curricular Practical Training (CPT) experience by a transcript notation.

To satisfy the requirements for the Experience Track, students must declare their intention to pursue the track and complete an approved internship/CPT. One-credit academic courses (such as BIOL 4151, COSC 4151, etc.) exist for students who wish to receive academic credit for the internship experience. Zero-credit courses (such as COOP 0011 , COOP 0017 , etc.) are also available for this purpose.

Eligibility for Internship

  • NSM students with a UH grade point average 2.5 or greater, or permission of department chair or designee, are eligible for internship courses.
  • Students are eligible for internships after completing at least one semester of study in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
  • The work must be related to the students major.
  • Internships must be approved by a Director of Undergraduate Studies or Department Chair of the student’s major.
  • Additional restrictions apply to CPT for F-1 students (see below).

Steps to Declare the Experience Track

  1. NSM students must declare, by submitting a General Petition to their academic advisor, their intention to pursue this track prior to processing the paperwork for approval of the internship/CPT.
  2. The academic advisor will verify the student’s academic eligibility for the internship/CPT. The student will be notified by email when the petition has either been approved or disapproved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies Department Chair.
  3. The department of the student’s major will review the internship including the formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationery, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date and the salary offered. The department will determine whether or not the internship/CPT will provide the student with appropriate experience relating to their major field of study.
    • If a positive determination is made, then:
      1. If the student wants to enroll for credit (such as BIOL 4151), then the department will enroll the student in the course, otherwise
      2. If the student wants to enroll for a zero-credit co-op internship/CPT, the student takes the approved petition and the internship approval from the department to the Co-op Office in the career center of the Cullen College of Engineering to complete the process.
  4. F-1 students seeking CPT should visit the Office of International Student Scholar Services (ISSS) for special instructions prior to the steps above.

For more information about Co-op Education and CPT, please visit the Co-operative Education (Co-op) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)  page.

Eligible Coursework

To satisfy the requirements for the Experience Track students must declare their intention to pursue the track and complete an approved internship/CPT, Zero-credit courses are available for this purpose. Courses for academic credit, while required for select majors, may be available for elective credits for other majors if approved by the academic advisor for the respective major.