Jul 19, 2024  
2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog 
2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Undeclared Major

Policies  > Advising, Orientation, & Enrollment (Registration) > Undeclared Major

Undergraduate Scholars at UH (UScholars) offers a wide range of services and programs including academic advising, college success program, and support services designed to assist undergraduate students during the critically important first year university experience.

Students who have not declared a major at the point of admission to UH will be offered assistance through Undergraduate Scholars at UH (UScholars) that will help them later make an informed decision about a major field of study. All freshmen students will declare a major by the beginning of their sophomore year (30 credit hours), if they have not already done so.

Newly admitted undeclared transfer students

  • with less than 30 credit hours are to choose a major within their second semester, prior to registration for their third semester courses.
  • with 30-44 credit hours are to choose a major within their first semester at UH, prior to registration for 2nd semester courses.
  • with 45 or more credit hours are to choose a major prior to attending UH (i.e., these students will only be accepted into UH with a major).

While at UScholars transfer students are required to seek vocational and career counseling to identify appropriate fields of interest, meet with their designated advisors at Undergraduate Scholars at UH to discuss potential majors, and consult with college and departmental advisors concerning major requirements. During this period these students will establish a University of Houston grade point average that will allow them to declare a major field of study.

Undergraduate Scholars at UH (UScholars) is also the source for TSI screening and information. All students who are not TSI complete must enroll in the respective developmental course(s) during their first semester(s) at UH. Students have to earn passing grades in development courses before they can enroll in college level courses in that particular area. For information about Undergraduate Scholars at UH call 832-842-2100, visit room 56 University Libraries, (via the back entrance to M.D. Anderson Library, across from the University Center) during regular office hours, or access the Web site at http://uscholars.uh.edu/.