Jul 21, 2024  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Academic Information - Technology

Colleges  > College of Technology  > Academic Information


The degrees in Computer Engineering Technology, Electrical Power Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology are accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, Maryland, 21202, 410- 347-7700.

The degree in Computer Information Systems accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, Maryland, 21202, 410-347-7700.

The Bachelor of Science degree in Construction Management is accredited by American Council for Construction Education, 1717 North Loop 1604 East, Suite 320, San Antonio, Texas, 78232-1570.

The degree in Digital Media is accredited by Accrediting Council for Collegiate Graphic Communications Incorporated, 200 Deer Run Road, Sewickey, PA, 15143-26000, 412-741-6860.

The degree in Retail and Consumer Science is accredited by American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 400 N. Columbus Street Suite 202, Alexandria, VA. 22314.

The Bachelor of Science degrees in Biotechnology, Organizational Leadership and Supervision, and Supply Chain and Logistics Technology are accredited by The Association of Technology, Management and Applied Engineering, 275 N. York Street, Ste 401, Elmhurst, IL, 60126. 

Undergraduate Programs


Internship and Practical Training

Department of Construction Management

Go to information for Department of Construction Management.




Department of Engineering Technology

Go to information for Department of Engineering Technology.



Accelerated Program


Department of Human Development and Consumer Sciences

Go to information for Department of Human Development and Consumer Sciences.



Accelerated Program


Department of Information and Logistics Technology

Go to information for Department of Information and Logistics Technology.



Accelerated Program


Graduate Program

For information on the Master of Science programs, refer to the Graduate and Professional Studies catalog and the College of Technology web page: www.tech.uh.edu

Academic Advising

The goal of the academic advising in the College of Technology is to ensure that each student has access to accurate and consistent academic advising at all stages of the student’s college career. All incoming freshmen and transfer students are required to attend orientation, where pertinent policies and procedures are introduced and plans for academic success are discussed.

Orientation for the college is handled in conjunction with the Office of Admissions and is required for all new technology students. Once the student has been given an overview of the university and college, the undergraduate advisor assists the student with initial schedule planning and enrollment (registration). Thereafter, advisors are available on an ongoing basis to answer questions and provide guidance.

Academic advising is important:

  • upon entering (freshman or transfer);
  • to change a major;
  • to declare a minor;
  • to clarify any academic policy or procedure;
  • to file a degree plan;
  • to file petitions (Note: a petition is not considered valid until it is signed by the department chair and the college dean); and
  • at the beginning of the term before graduation, to verify all requirements for graduation.

Declaring of Major

Degree Plan

After selecting a major field of study, and not later than the beginning of the junior year (60 semester hours), students should request that a degree plan be prepared through the Academic Services Center. Students who are admitted to a major in the college must enroll in at least one course each semester in approved coursework for their declared major requirements.

Freshman students who are uncertain of their majors are encouraged to enroll first through Exploratory Studies and seek academic advising from the advisors for the major(s) they are considering. Before enrolling as sophomores (30 hours), students must petition for a change in major to one of the degree programs in the college.

Students declaring a minor must file a minor degree plan in the college of the minor. Students must meet all requirements of the catalog under which they are graduating. The official degree plan remains in effect unless a 13-month break in enrollment occurs.

Basic Degree Information: General Requirements for a Baccalaureate Degree  

Change of Major

Major Minimum GPA
Digital Media 2.0, and a C or better in DIGM 1350 
Human Resources Development 2.0
Organizational Leadership and Supervision 2.0
Retailing and Consumer Science 2.0
Supply Chain and Logistics Technology 2.0
Construction Management 2.25 (2.5 beginning Fall 2019)
Biotechnology 2.5
Computer Information Systems 2.5 for all college level work attempted
Computer Engineering Technology 2.5
Electrical Power Technology 2.5
Mechanical Engineering Technology 2.5

Students with less than the required cumulative grade point average for a particular major are encouraged to obtain academic advising in their intended major; however, they are not eligible for admission to the major until the required grade point average is attained. It is recommended that students who wish to change their major to any of the college’s degree programs enroll in at least one course each semester in approved coursework for their desired major requirements.

To apply for a change of major, consult the Academic Services Center web site: www.tech.uh.edu.

Calculation of Major GPA

The College of Technology will calculate major GPA based upon all grades earned in all UH courses attempted or completed to satisfy the major requirements section of each College of Technology degree plan in the undergraduate catalog. This will include, if applicable, any courses taken in a student’s selected track or area of emphasis.

Prerequisites and Corequisites

Prerequisites and corequisites as specified under the course listings are strictly enforced by the College of Technology. For the most current listings of prerequisites and corequisites go to the online course catalog at: http://www.uh.edu/academics/catalog/colleges/tec/courses . Students who have taken prerequisites at other schools should make sure those courses are transferred and evaluated by the Office of Transfer Admissions, and if necessary, evaluation by petition by departments, before classes begin.

Students are responsible for taking prerequisites to courses in which they enroll. If course “A” is a prerequisite to course “B,” it means that course “A” must be taken first. If course “A” is listed as a corequisite of course “B,” courses “A” and “B” must be taken together. Students may be dropped regardless of drop deadline, from any class if the student lacks a prerequisite or corequisite. Students may not drop a course that is a corequisite for another course unless they also drop the corresponding course. Students should be aware that prerequisites are cumulative; if course “A” is listed as a prerequisite to course “B,” then any course that is a prerequisite to course “A” also must be completed before the student enrolls in course “B.”

Student Responsibility

A responsible student is a successful student. At the University of Houston, students are expected to conduct themselves in a mature and responsible manner, respect the opinions, rights, and personal property of others, and meet their financial obligations. Students are responsible for seeking help and guidance from all of the resources that the university makes available to them. They are expected to be proactive and remain informed about university dates and deadlines, and understand academic and disciplinary policies. They are responsible for communication with their professors, advisors, and university staff, and the commitment to being organized and prepared to learn. Above all, our students are expected to strive for honesty and academic integrity throughout their period of study at the University of Houston.

For more information on student responsibility see the Academic Regulations  section of this catalog.

Re-apply as a Former Student

Effective for Fall 2011, if you are ready to return after an interruption of at least four terms or 13 consecutive months, you will need to apply for readmission as a former student. Regardless of academic standing, you will need to meet re-entry requirements and deadlines and pay the $50 readmission fee in order to be readmitted and enroll. For information please visit: http://www.uh.edu/admissions/apply/Reapply-Former-Student/index.php.

Dates and Deadlines: See the below deadlines to submit the application and all supporting materials.

Summer Term: May 1

Fall Term: June 1

Spring Term: November 1

Readmission from Suspension

Any student suspended from the college for academic or disciplinary reasons is ineligible to enroll in classes during the designated period of suspension. After that specified period, students may apply for readmission. Students who have been out for at least four terms or 13 consecutive months, must apply for readmission as a former student. Please see the section on Re-apply as a Former Student for deadlines and requirements. Readmission from suspension is neither automatic nor guaranteed. The student must express the desire for readmission and request initiation of the readmission process by completing a “Readmission from Suspension Petition,” which can be found at www.tech.uh.edu.

While on suspension at UH, a College of Technology student may not enroll in classes as follows:

First suspension: student must sit out at least the next full term, either the fall or the spring. (Summer does not count as a full term.) Second suspension: student must sit out at least 1 full year (12 months). Third suspension: student will not be readmitted to UH

The College of Technology does not grant readmission for the summer terms.

It is the student’s responsibility to see that ALL college transcripts from ALL universities or colleges (UH and transfer schools) are included with the petition. If the student is in active enrollment at a community college or university, the student should request a progress report from the instructor and attach it to the petition.

Deadline Dates for Submitting the Petition
Fall Term:    June 1
Spring Term:    November 1

All application materials must be submitted to the Office of Admissions by the deadline.

A student readmitted from academic suspension enters on probation. The following requirements must be met to avoid further academic action:

  • Students must meet with an advisor each term.
  • Students may enroll in no more than 12 semester hours during the fall and spring terms, and no more than six semester hours during the summer term.
  • Students must not earn any “I” or “F” grades.
  • A minimum semester GPA (2.0) must be earned each semester while on academic probation.
  • Additional conditions may be required.

Academic Grievance Policy

Students are encouraged to contact the instructor of record or submit written requests to the department chair whenever questions arise concerning a grade received in a course. Students have 90 days after the posting of a grade to appeal.

Issues of grievance regarding grades, course requirements and classroom procedures can occur. The first and best source for resolving the problem is with the professor. The university expects most issues to be resolved amicably and informally with the professor. In the event that an informal resolution is not possible, students may file a written grievance on a General Petition Form, available in department and college offices, and at the Office of the University Registrar, 128 Welcome Center. These forms must be filed with the professor within 90 calendar days of the posting of the final grades for the course. Appeals may be considered at the following levels, as necessary: professor, departmental chair, college dean, senior vice president for academic affairs (or designated representative at all levels). Faculty are required to retain all evaluated student material not previously returned for a six month period after the end of the last class of the term evaluated.

Because assigning a grade for evaluating a student’s work performance involves the faculty’s professional judgment and is an integral part of the faculty’s teaching responsibilities, disagreement with an instructor concerning a grade or evaluation is not a justifiable grievance to be considered under this policy unless a violation of university, college, or department academic policies or procedures can be shown to have affected that grade or evaluation.

Please note that appeals for decisions in the following areas are guided by separate appeal or grievance policies and procedures: Affirmative Action, Academic Honesty, Student Life, and Financial Responsibility.

Other Programs

Technology Experience Track

The College of Technology recognizes the value of developing students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career. Students who select the Experience Track in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship and curricular practical training (CPT) experience by transcript notation. For more information refer to the College of Technology - Experience Track  section of this catalog.