Dec 01, 2023  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Adult Admission Option

Admission Requirements  > Other Student Admission Considerations > Adult Admission Option

The Adult Admission Option facilitates the admission of adult students. Adult students may enroll in a nondegree status without submitting transcripts or test scores. The conditions of the program are as follows:

  1. A special Adult Admission Option application must be completed.
  2. A non-refundable $50 application fee is required.
  3. Applicants must, at a minimum, hold a high school diploma or the equivalent.
  4. Applicants may not have been enrolled in a high school or regionally accredited college level program for the past five years.
  5. Applicants must be at least 25 years of age by the last day of late enrollment (registration) for the term for which they are applying.
  6. Applicants will be classified as freshmen students.
  7. This program does not apply to UH former students or to postbaccalaureate students.
  8. Students admitted in this category must attain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average in order to enroll for subsequent terms.
  9. Students who complete 18 credit hours and wish to change their admission status to degree-seeking should contact the Office of Admissions, in the Welcome Center, 713-743-1010. To continue beyond 18 credit hours of letter-grade, non-remedial work, students must present transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities previously attended. For applicants who have attended any institution outside the U.S. official credentials and translations, along with required processing fee, must be submitted with the petition. Regular admission to Exploratory Studies at UH will normally be granted to those applicants with a 2.00 minimum cumulative grade point average in their work at UH, excluding courses not taken with a letter grade, remedial courses, and special problems/independent study work. To change from Exploratory Studies to an undergraduate major, students must petition to the appropriate college/department.

    Note: Students may remain in Exploratory Studies at UH for only one term once they have exceeded 60 cumulative credit hours.
  10. Students who wish to petition for degree status prior to the completion of 18 credit hours of letter grade, non-remedial work at UH may do so by submitting a request through the Individual Admissions Option. As part of the petition process, students must present transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities previously attended.
  11. The hours earned will count toward a degree so long as students are fully admitted to a major and the courses are applicable to that degree program.
  12. Applicants who have completed any education outside the U.S. must submit evidence of satisfactory English proficiency. A score of 550 or higher on the paper based, 213 on the computerized examination or 79 on the internet based (IBT) TOEFL or 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test is required. Applicants are expected to complete the essay section of the TOEFL whenever it is included as part of the exam. Those exempt from this requirement are students from Australia, the British Isles, the Bahamas, English-speaking Canadian provinces, Jamaica, New Zealand, Belize, Fiji Islands, Liberia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies, Zimbabwe, and those who speak English as their native language.

Note: Students enrolled in the Adult Option Program are not eligible for financial assistance. Financial aid will be processed during the term following the completion of 18 credit hours; therefore, aid may not be available during that term. Eligible veterans may use veterans’ benefits under this program. Please contact the Veterans Services office for more information, University Center North, room 202, or the Office of the University Registrar in the Welcome Center.