Jun 22, 2024  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Department of Economics - Experience Track

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences

College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences  > Department of Economics  > Experience Track

The Department of Economics recognizes the value of developing students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career.  Students who select the Experience Track in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship and curricular practical training (CPT) experience by transcript notation. 

Eligibility for Internship

  • The work must be related to the students major.
  • Internships must be approved by the Academic Department.
  • Additional restrictions apply to CPT for F-1 students (see below).

Steps to declare Experience Track

  • Students must declare by submitting a General Petition to their Departmental Advisor their intention to pursue this track prior to processing the paperwork for approval of the internship/CPT. 
  • The Academic Department will verify the student’s academic eligibility for internship/CPT.
  • The Academic Department will review the internship, including the formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationary, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered.  The Academic department will determine whether or not the internship/CPT will provide the student with appropriate experience related to their major field of study.  If a positive determination is made then
  1. If the students wants to register for credit (ECON 4390) then the Academic Department will enroll the student in the course; otherwise
  2. If the student wants to register for a zero-credit co-op internship/CPT, the approved petition and internship approval will be forwarded from the Academic Department to the Co-op office in the career center of the Cullen College of Engineering to complete the process.  The student will be notified by the career center of the Cullen College of Engineering when the process is complete. 
  • F-1 students seeking CPT should visit the International Student Scholar Services Office (ISSSO) for special instructions prior to the steps above. 

Further Information about Co-op Experiences

Students are required to adhere to all deadlines and requirements set by the Cooperative Education & Internship Programs Office, (713) 743-4230.  The information below is also available at this link: http://career.egr.uh.edu/students/coop

Students should know the following about the course work, fees and reporting of the co-op experience.

  • Co-op education/training appears on the official transcript, therefore, students in the program must register each semester of Co-op using their PeopleSoft account to register and pay for the Co-op course.  Students will use the PeopleSoft account to pay before the specified deadline each semester of Co-op.  All Co-op students must submit a Co-op Data Form in person at the Co-op Office or via email to complete the process. 
  • There is a processing fee charged for each semester a student received education/training as a Co-op intern.  The fee is posted directly to the student PeopleSoft account.  Some employers reimburse the student for the processing fee; it is up to the student to discuss with the employer regarding Co-op fee reimbursement.  If the employer agrees to reimburse the student, the student should provide the employer with documentation that the fee has been paid though PeopleSoft and request the employer issue the reimbursement separate from the student paycheck to ensure the student receives the full reimbursement with no taxes removed. 
  • A Co-op Work Report is pre-formatted 6-8 page document which must be completed to verify the work is educational training in a particular field of study. 
  • A letter grade is assigned based upon completion of the Work Report submitted by the student each semester of Co-op. 
  • Co-op interns must complete and submit a work report each semester to verify the Co-op internship experience is within their field of study.  Review of the Work Report (which includes an employer evaluation) assists in determining the letter grade received on the official transcript. 
  • Work reports must be completed, submitted and signed by the appropriate employment supervisor and faculty advisor before each semester deadline.
  • Work reports and evaluations should be scanned and submitted via email to ecareers@central.uh.edu to confirm the date and time of the submission. 
  • Submitting the work report after the deadline will result in the student receiving a lower letter grade on the official transcript down to an including a letter grade of F. Three reminders will be sent to each Co-op students UH email address each semester of Co-op to ensure awareness of policies and deadlines. 
  • If you are officially registered for Co-op and do not receive email reminders, please call (713)743-4230 to ensure the Co-op Office has your correct UH email address on file. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

For students on an F-1 visa, all of the guidelines and deadlines above are in force.  The following additional requirement will allow F-1 students to work without jeopardizing their immigration status. 

Upon visiting the ISSSO, F-1 students receive a CPT form.  This form must be signed by the Academic Department to verify that the internship constitutes valid professional experience.  This form is submitted to the Co-op Office in the Cullen College of Engineering before the start of the semester in which the student intends to participate in an internship.  The CPT form is accompanied by a formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationary, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered. 

  • As with all internships, the work must be related to the students major.
  • F-1 students must have already completed at least two full semesters of academic study.
  • Only half-time employment is allowed during Fall and Spring semesters.  Full-time employment is allowed during the Summer semester

Eligible Coursework

To satisfy the requirements for the Experience Track, students must declare their intention to pursue the track and complete an approved internship/CPT.

Courses for Academic Credit

Courses for academic credit are also available to satisfy the requirements for the Experience Track if approved by the respective  academic department. Students can take ECON 4390  if they wish to receive academic credit for the internship experience.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences