Jul 23, 2024  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Bauer College of Business - Experience Track

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: C.T. Bauer College of Business

C.T. Bauer College of Business  > Experience Track

The Bauer College of Business recognizes the value of developing students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career. Students who select the Experience Track in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship/Curricular Practical Training (CPT) experience by a transcript notation.

Eligibility for Internship:

  • Students with a UH grade point average 2.5 or greater, or permission of a department chair, are eligible for internship courses.
  • Students are eligible for internships after completing at least one semester of study in the Bauer College.
  • The work must be related to the student’s major.
  • Internships must be approved by an academic advisor and the Rockwell Career Center.
  • Additional restrictions apply to CPT for F-1 students (see below).

Steps to declare Experience Track:

  1. Students must declare, by submitting a General Petition to their academic advisor, their intention to pursue this track prior to processing the paperwork for approval of the internship/CPT.
  2. The academic advisor will verify the student’s academic eligibility for the internship/CPT. The student will be notified by email when the petition has either been approved or disapproved by the Bauer academic advisor.
  3. The Rockwell Career Center (RCC) will review the internship, including the formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationery, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered. The RCC will determine whether or not the internship/CPT will provide the student with appropriate experience relating to their major field of study. If a positive determination is made, then:
    1. If the student wants to enroll for credit (such as GENB 4396 ), then RCC will enroll the student in the course, otherwise
    2. If the student wants to enroll for a zero-credit co-op internship/CPT, the student takes the approved petition and the internship approval from the RCC to the Co-op Office in the career center of the Cullen College of Engineering to complete the process.

F-1 students seeking CPT should visit the International Student Scholar Services Office (ISSS) for special instructions prior to the steps above.

For more information about Co-op Education and CPT, please visit the Co-operative Education (Co-op) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)  page.

Eligible Coursework

To satisfy the requirements for the Experience Track, students must declare their intention to pursue the track and complete an approved internship/CPT. Three-credit academic courses exist for students who wish to receive academic credit for the internship experience. Zero-credit courses are also available for this purpose.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: C.T. Bauer College of Business