Mar 01, 2024
To provide advanced training and performance experience for students pursuing a career in music performance, and to prepare students to teach music performance at the collegiate level.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
In addition or supplementary to the admission requirements stated on the Moores School of Music Doctor of Musical Arts Programs page, applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Master of Music degree.
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 for all graduate work attempted.
- Submission of Graduate Record Exam General Test scores.
- Submission of TOEFL scores (as applicable) that meet University of Houston minimum standards.
- Appropriate graduate-level performance ability as determined in an audition before members of the faculty.
- Satisfactory results on entrance examinations in music theory and music history. (Unsatisfactory results will require remedial coursework beyond courses required for the degree.)
- Comprehensive Examination Requirement: Students must pass a comprehensive examination in order to gain admission to candidacy.
- Foreign Language Requirement: Students must demonstrate reading proficiency in French, German, or Italian in order to gain admission to candidacy. Voice majors must also pass the three-part voice language proficiency exam in order to gain admission to candidacy.
- Minor Field: Student shall, in consultation with their doctoral committee and the Graduate Advisor, declare a minor field, consisting of 12 credit hours approved by the committee and the coordinator of the minor field area.
- Recital Requirement: Students are required to present two solo recitals (each may contain chamber music), one major solo work with orchestra or major opera role, and one lecture. Students pursuing the doctoral essay option will present an additional solo recital.
¹ Additional hours of applied study in the major area are not applied toward the degree plan. Graduate students enrolled for applied study are required to also enroll in an appropriate large ensemble.
² Additional hours of applied music, large ensemble, or doctoral document/essay will not satisfy the free elective requirement.
Doctoral Document Track
Complete 4.0 Credit Hours from:
Program Total: 61.0 Credit Hours